Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Hiking at the Jacksonville Arboretum and Gardens


This past weekend, we made the short drive to the Jacksonville Arboretum and Gardens, which is a beautiful area set up to study various plants and trees and also happens to have several trails. Now that I've been made aware that hiking is really just "walking around in the woods"...I have wanted to do it more and more. Not only do I feel healthy, walking around is exercise after all, but I feel just so in tune with nature. hahahahah okay I couldn't type that with a straight face BUT it was really nice to be out there with the trees, birds and little streams that we found. There are many trails to explore and one trail leads you to this very peaceful area by a stream where I could have sat all day.

Being a total nerd and shameless Hunger Games fan, I found myself asking Ryan what we could eat in the Arboretum...if we were to be put into it to fight to the death. Then I started panicking because I realized there was no way I could climb any of the trees but then I relaxed...I'm 27, I have been inelible for the HG for almost 10 years! Whew. Also, I'm 27...I have no business reading books meant for tweens. Also, the Hunger Games isn't a real thing..........yet.

The point of this embarrassing tale is that it got me to thinking about survival in the wild. True, most of us will probably never have to use these skills but it couldn't hurt to know a few basic things, right? Ryan and I are going to explore the edible plants in the area and report back to you pronto! I think the first one will be the Prickly Pears that grow on a cactus in our condo's parking lot. Sounds lovely, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment