Monday, January 27, 2014

Clean Gut Cleanse: Week 2

Day 8
Today is Dr.  Martin Luther King, Jr. day! Thank you Dr. King for all that you stood for and your tireless efforts towards equality!

Ryan and I both have the day off work in honor of Dr. King and it just happens to be a gorgeous day full of sunshine and...BrandGrump. Man, I don't mean to be this whiny and complainy. Lack of sugar and bread is tough on me and I don't have Ryan's stoicism! The chicken and slaw lunch that tasted so wonderful yesterday was maddening today. The cabbage gets more of a cabbage-y smell after sitting in the fridge over night and I get sick of food so quickly (unless it's taco soup, I could eat that every day). We went on a nice long bike ride, ate some strawberries, carrots and zucchini in the park and it was as close to the cup of coffee/glass of wine/sandwiches in the park that we really wanted that we were happy! For dinner we had creamy lentil soup and it is phenomenal. It has lemon and cilantro in it and while the recipe seems like a weird combo of flavors, it is so good. Ryan made homemade mayonaise with olive oil and holy crap, homemade mayo is the bee's knees. We used this mayo to make chicken salad to eat out of cucumber cups for lunches this week and it is also delicious.

I kept trying to convince Ryan to cheat with me today but he was having none of it. If he had agreed to order a pizza with me, I would have put aside my self control in a heartbeat. It's not fun cheating by yourself though so I behaved.

Chicken, homemade mayo, celery, green olives, dill, black pepper and onion
Day 9
Ryan has been experimenting with our morning shakes lately and I don't like it. Avocado and cucumber need to mind their own business and stay out of shakes. If I'm going to have a glassful of bland each morning, I don't need the additional weird flavors! It is much easier than making my own shakes in the am though, so I'm just going to shut up now and be grateful :)
The cucumber cups with chicken salad were pretty good, so I'm feeling pretty happy. This cleanse always reminds me how dependent my happiness is on food. Maybe I should work on that....

(Side note: just got the most romantic text from Ryan that said: "I bit the bullet and took the remaining cashew chicken for lunch today". You may be wondering, "Not the cashew chicken from last week that they ate for 7 days straight???!"....yes, that damned, cursed chicken: I LOVE THIS MAN!)


Day 10
Forgot my morning shake at home this morning...been sipping tea and eating almonds to substitute but lunch cannot come soon enough! Last night we had a delightful salad and some roasted brussel sprouts...I needed something to replace our almost nightly popcorn snack...brussel sprouts are a good alternative! That is, if you don't cook them until they're mushy :( At least we ate some of the crispy leaves that were beginning to brown before the sprouts were done...and then I went to eat my salad and forgot about the poor lil guys in the oven. I think lack of bread is damaging my brain...think that will convince Ryan to cheat with me? Maybe if I just started leaving croissants hidden in his clothes drawers or in his car?


Day 11
OMG I HATE THIS CLEANSE! Broke down and had a piece of toast today...and it felt awesome! I should probably feel shame or guilt (according to Ryan) but all I feel is satisfaction remembering that delicious, whole grained piece of heaven underneath a "sunny side up" egg. Kinda defeats the purpose of cleansing my body and resetting for the year, but we all knew I'd have at least one cheat...it is inevitable because my will to eat delicious things outweighs my will to not die of diabetes. At least I didn't eat the Doritos I really wanted for a midafternoon snack or some delicious candy bar! Instead, I had some asparagus soup and pretended it was the same.

Day 12
Planning what I will eat after the cleanse. If you haven't already noticed, I'm probably not someone to look to for inspiration when you're ready to crack but you may be able to relate to how frickn hard it is to completely change your eating habits. I'm in deep denial that cheating is wrong and I figure that 80-90% cleansing is better than no cleansing and if you fall down, you have to get right back up!

Day 13
LORD WHEN WILL IT BE OVER?! I've reached the realization today that 2 weeks of cleansing is better than not cleansing at all...right? RIGHT? AAAH I want blueberry biscuits and coffee! Ryan's surfing right now, but I am going to try to convince him that maybe this last week will be a half and half week. Half clean gut foods and half straight up bread. Even 80/20 would suffice. He's a tough egg to crack so I don't think it will work but I am at least going to change our menu again. I chose way too many cold foods and it has been between 30-60 degrees for the past week...I need warm, nourishing soups and chicken stew over mashed potatoes. Here's my compromise: chicken stew one day, clean lentil soup the next....I think it's a great idea....

No comments:

Post a Comment