Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Barry Manilow!

Ryan and I have tickets to see Barry Manilow tonight! Apparently there were 10 tickets in the Mayor's Suite were given to my organization and we were lucky enough to get two of them. I'll let ya know how it goes :) In honor of the Barry Manilow concert, I have a few Barry facts for you:

Scott English wrote the lyrics and recorded "Mandy" in 1971 as "Brandy." His version was a hit in the UK. In the US, this was changed to "Mandy" to avoid confusion with the Looking Glass hit "Brandy (You're A Fine Girl)." (The song I was named after!)

"Mandy" was not written by him. In fact, even though he was a great songwriter, many of his hits were written by other people!

It is an urban myth that "Mandy" was written about a dog.

Barry is 67 years old! I want to find out how he does it.

In 1978, five of his albums were simultaneously on the best-selling charts. Only Frank Sinatra, Michael Jackson, Bruce Springsteen and Johnny Mathis equaled this.

2 comments: