Thursday, February 3, 2011

Community Supported Agriculture



We just got our first CSA delivery! Included for $29.99 was: a chicken, 1/2 dozen eggs, 2 cucumbers, 2 zucchini, a bag of strawberries, 2 large oranges, 2 tomatoes, a bag of butter lettuce (I think, may be some other sort of lettuce), a bag of spinach, a large bunch of kale, brussel sprouts, carrots, an onion and a green bell pepper. WOW! That's a lot of food.

We have decided to get the chicken, eggs, and produce every other week and on the off weeks just get the produce ($18.99 for only produce)...that means that for less than $100/month, we are getting a TON of local, fresh produce, 2 chickens and a dozen eggs. After reading what Dr. Junger (Clean Program) had to say about buying local produce (more nutrients because it can be left to ripen longer since it doesn't have as far to travel) I'm really excited to have this opportunity. I'm also glad that we can support local farms and the local economy.

In addition to the benefits of joining a CSA, there are so many things that I normally wouldn't buy but I will now be forced out of my comfort zone to try! I have never cooked brussel sprouts before and I have a feeling this CSA will give me more chances to try new vegetables as the year goes on. I'll keep you posted about the recipes we try with our abundance of food :)

If you're interested in joining a CSA in your area but don't know where to look: try your local farmer's market! Our CSA doesn't have a website but they had applications at the farmer's market near us.

UPDATE:

My first attempt at using food from our CSA....rosemary infused roasted brussel sprouts, served with sliced tomato and chicken topped with the bacon we bought from Cognito Farms.

This is what brussel sprouts grow on....weird.



After I picked off the brussel sprouts and some rosemary from our rosemary Christmas tree


Finished result!

No comments:

Post a Comment