Saturday, January 21, 2012

The Clean Program, Year 2, Week 3



Day 15

I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!!! Although, I'm starting to wish that I wasn't blogging about this experience. Ryan told me that our last day of the cleanse was this upcoming Saturday BUT because of my diligent documentation, I have to report that our last day isn't until Sunday! We can both taste the pizza, coffee and doughnuts, that's the problem. I'm going to try to at least make us a healthy pizza and do a better job this year of maintaining a lot of the healthy habits from the cleanse. We don't drink milk but we do eat a LOT of cheese...first thing to reduce! Less gluten, we both feel better without it (Ryan more so than me). Waaay more veggies and fruit. More homecooked meals. You get the picture!

Breakfast: Smoothie, Ryan added cocoa powder, yum

Snack: Chocolate and Almond Scone/Cookie

Lunch: Chicken, veggie and rice soup made yesterday

Dinner: I had some roasted chickpeas and a chocolate and almond cookie....not liquid but at least it was clean! Ryan made a smoothie and gave me a look of pity mixed with disdain.

Day 16

Breakfast: I made us a kale/pineapple smoothie but I think the kale had started going bad (it was in the freezer). Ryan didn't mind but I gagged when I tasted it. I skipped breakfast.

Snack: Quinoa flakes with frozen blueberries. Note: Did not taste nearly as good as when I added chocolate chips, raspberries and walnuts. In fact, it was pretty gross but I was hungry because I skipped breakfast so I choked it down.

Lunch: Chicken, veggie and rice soup

Snacks: Nectarine and chocolate/almond cookie, okay 2. They are not lasting nearly as long as I hoped they would! Oh yeah and an energy ball. I don't think I packed enough soup for lunch...was really hungry in the afternoon.

Dinner: Smoothie made with almond milk, almond butter, frozen peaches, dates, and flax meal...like a milkshake!

Day 17

Breakfast: Juice made from bok choy, celery, and carrot

Lunch: Chicken and rice soup

Snacks: Nectarine and kiwi (I cut them in half and eat them with a spoon, best snack ever)

Dinner: Garbanzo bean flatbread


(Blondies)

Day 18

Breakfast: Smoothie

Lunch: Chicken and rice soup

Snacks: Nectarine, kiwi and garbanzo bean blondies! Instead of using sugar though, I combined this recipe with her recipe for sugar free garbanzo beach cookie dough. So, I used dates instead of sugar to make these blondies sugar free. They turned out pretty good but I had to cook them longer because of the extra water from the dates. Also, if I make these again, I would run the beans through the juicer to homogenize them instead of in the food processor. They were too chunky in the food processor but this could be because we have a small one.

Dinner: Roasted chickpeas for dinner! I had bowling this night, so I didn't have time to make a smoothie and this was a good replacement for the cheese fries I really wanted :)

Day 19

Breakfast: Smoothie

Lunch: Chicken, onion, baby bellas, cucumber, spinach and arugula salad with olive oil and red wine vinegar (prob not supposed to use red wine but we didn't have balsamic)

Dinner: Smoothie

Day 20

Breakfast: Smoothie

Lunch: Clean chicken fried rice, pictured at the top of this post. Adapted from this recipe. I used brown rice made the night before, skipped the butter, used gluten-free tamari, left out the egg and added baby bellas. Really good! Immediately after making this, I made a double batch to use for lunch the next day!

***WARNING, NOT CLEAN FRIENDLY!! Avert your eyes if your willpower is waning!!!***

Dinner: Sorry Dr. Junger, ended the Clean Program early....and with a bang! Started off with a few glasses of wine with a cheese, nut, fruit and baguette plate around 4 pm at The Grotto in San Marco. Then, on to bb's to split their amazing white truffle oil flatbread (no prosciutto on my side) and a slice of black forest cake and coffee! We ended the night at the San Marco Theatre and watched the new Mission Impossible with Pinot Grigio for me, a glass of Duke's for Ryan (local beer) and a small popcorn for both of us :) This all sounds well and good, but we felt terrible when we went to bed that night! Too much, too fast.



Day 21

Breakfast: These doughnuts made from buttermilk biscuit dough. Very simple, very delicious! We didn't use butter though, we put them immediately into the sugar/cinnamon mixture from the pan. For a few we dipped them into coconut oil before putting them in the sugar mixture but those ones got too much sugar on them! We had french pressed, fair trade coffee to go with our doughnut masterpiece and humane-certified bacon, made the Martha way. It turned out very crispy, but make sure you don't forget about it! We were pretty close to burned bacon!


Lunch: Clean chicken fried rice....this makes me feel a little bit better that we ended early :)

Dinner: Homemade pizza...not Clean friendly, but delicious!

As with last year, we felt a whole lot better eating the "Clean" foods than we did after eating the junk food. I don't think that would really surprise anyone! This cleanse has been an excellent reminder though to keep junk food as a rare treat instead of a constant diet staple. I think that making the junk food at home probably is slightly better for you too than buying it ready made and already processed. This means: if I want chicken nuggets, go buy some humane certified chicken...then bread and fry it or bake it myself! Much healthier and my conscience feels a bit better too! (For those of you who don't know, if I can make a choice, I either choose humane certified meat or I eat vegetarian. I have decided from here on out that if someone cooks for me, I will eat it, no matter what it is! But, if they have a buffet set up and I can skip the meat, I usually will)

No comments:

Post a Comment