Thursday, January 19, 2012

Garbanzo Flour Pizza Crust


Okay, I couldn't wait until the end of Week 3 to write about this flatbread I tried last night, it was that good!!

Using the recipe found here, I made a pizza/flatbread crust out of garbanzo bean flour, water, sea salt and olive oil! So easy and I was surprised at just how delicious it was. Instead of the toppings she used, I decided to make this flatbread completely "Clean friendly". Note: If you're on the Clean Program cleanse, you're not supposed to have solids in the evening, but I couldn't wait to try this out...sorry!

While the flour and water was sitting (needs to for 30 minutes), I carmelized some onions with olive oil and a little sea salt in our cast iron pan. I removed the onions from the pan and, since I had been cooking on it, I was able to skip the "heat the pan in the oven for 10 minutes" thing. I then added some more olive oil to the pan and poured in the flour mixture. I placed the carmelized onions and baby bellas on top of the batter and cooked it at 500 degrees for 15 minutes. Here is where I made a mistake: I added the arugula at this point because the recipe said it should only take 15 minutes...THEN, when I had to put the whole thing back in the oven because it wasn't quite done, the arugula kinda crisped up :( Still tasted good but not the same! My suggestion: if you try to cut the flat bread and it's all mushy, throw her back in! It will come up pretty easily when it's finished and I think you'd rather have it be on the crispy side. The onions gave it such a delicious flavor and the baby bellas! I was delightfully surprised. Now, on the other hand, the sugar free garbanzo bean blondies that I made? You'll just have to wait and see in the Week 3 post!

No comments:

Post a Comment