Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Moccasin Slough Park


There is a great little park in between Orange Park and Fleming Island on US 17 called Moccasin Slough Park. It's not a massive park/trail like The Theodore Roosevelt Area or Jacksonville Arboretum and Gardens but it is still beautiful and the perfect place for a little visit with nature :) They also have a very nice playground area for children...we skipped this since we don't have children, unless you count a dachshund/beagle mix named Romeo and a black kitty named Tiny Paws of Fury...and I don't think they'd do very well in a playground setting...Ryan sometimes acts like a child but I can only imagine the stares and horrified gasps a 31 year old man would get as he approached a 2 foot slide and said "Hey kids, come play with me!"

We had our folding bikes in the car with us, so we took them out to bike around the paved trail, but it goes in a circle and only takes about 5-10 minutes to complete. I rode around the circle a few more times (Ryan thought I was crazy, he didn't see the point in doing laps around the little trail, he hates that) and I noticed all of the massive and beautiful magnolia trees, plus one tree that I thought would be my perfect Hunger Games tree...meaning: a tree that I could feasibly climb for survival. (Pictured below)

Just across US 17 from the park is the Black Creek Trail which parallels US 17 for about 8 miles. My bike seat was super uncomfortable, so we only made it like a half or quarter of a mile and then I had to turn around or risk butt death. Ryan was amused/annoyed by what a wuss I am and I had to remind him that he knew when he married me that I am no athlete. I can wander around in the woods, I can bike short distances and I can doggy paddle in a pool if I need to...that's about the extent of my physical prowess. It probably didn't help that I made us stop at the Burger King right by the park for a veggie burger before we started on the trail (Just because it's veggie doesn't mean it's not JUNK food, delicious junk food.)

If you're looking to challenge yourself and not be a wuss like me, here is my suggestion: start at the beginning of Black Creek Trail, when you see Moccasin Slough Park, stop by and admire how pretty it is, SKIP BURGER KING, and continue on the Black Creek Trail until it finishes. Then, turn around and enjoy the 8 mile bike ride back :)

6 comments:

  1. Butt death....sometimes the snark just writes itself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, having known you for like 30 years, you and I both know for a fact that you would break your neck on the first limb of that tree.

    You want a survival game, come down to the ranch and see if Cookie lets you get 10ft from the car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I could down Cookie with a quick belly rub....

      Delete
  3. In your dreams. Uncle Sam had her belly armored up after her second tour in Iraq (Among other classified locations. Say what you will about W, he recognized a critical national asset when he saw one).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then an ear scratch? No living dog can resist a good ear scratch!!

      Delete
  4. If you want to get your hands that close to her teeth, be my guest.

    ReplyDelete