Sunday, April 7, 2013

The Clean Program: Year 3, Day 7


Dill and Scallion Cashew Hummus
We have completed a full week of the Clean Program!! Woohoo!!! To celebrate, I have been cooking up a storm today! I made a dill/scallion/nutritional yeast cashew nut "cheese" (I prefer to think of it as cashew hummus, nut cheese sounds gross), chicken fried rice, roasted chickpeas, clean guacamole and brown rice tortilla chips and coconut/chocolate bites. And, of course, since this is all from scratch..it takes forever!! It does feel good to be eating whole foods though and it's only for 21 days. Then I can go back to eating ice cream :) haha, not what I should be thinking!! I will continue my quest in finding a balance between healthy foods and convenient foods that taste delicious.
While I'm slaving away inside, Ryan is slaving away outside

Today's Menu:

Breakfast: Raspberry/chocolate powder/chia/walnut/almond milk smoothie
Snacks: Apple, brown rice tortilla nachos
Lunch: Clean chicken fried rice (see below for recipe)
Dinner: Peach "milkshake! Frozen peaches, almond milk, milled flax seed, cashews and a wee bit o' coconut nectar sugar :) Great way to end the weekend!





"Clean" Chicken Fried Rice 
(adapted from this recipe)

3 cups cooked brown rice (this is 1 cup uncooked. Make the day before and refrigerate)
1 cooked chicken breast (cubed)
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup cubed carrot
1/3 cup peas (I used frozen)
1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
1 container baby bella mushrooms
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
1/3 cup gluten free tamari
4 cloves minced garlic
2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
2 tablespoons ground black pepper
2-4 tablespoons olive oil (I used a lot because I was using a stainless steel pan and it's not nonstick)

Heat oil over medium high heat and add chopped carrots, celery and onion when oil begins to shimmer. Add pepper and a pinch of salt. Add all other vegetables, then rice and chicken. Add garlic, ginger, tamari and sesame seeds. Stir well until heated throughout. 

I usually don't cook the vegetables for very long because I like them crunchy but you may want to cook it a bit longer before adding tamari if you like your vegetables softer. 

This will come out a bit moister than traditional fried rice but it is super yummy. Enjoy!! 
Making "Clean" chicken fried rice

3 comments:

  1. Iv'e been reading your posts for a few days now, I also started the clean program on the same day, but this is my first time. I really love them and get so much inspiration from them, so thank you, and congratulations on 7 days (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you enjoy them :) Is it your first time doing the cleanse?

      Delete
  2. Yes it is, it can get a little difficult at times but I'm keeping on!

    ReplyDelete